Take a break from the fast pace and isolation of Silicon Valley – or anywhere in the world. Join us for a Language Adventure to #SpanishCostaRica. Break away from the wifi and cell phones and enjoy the tranquil life of Tilarán, Costa Rica. You will learn Spanish, meet the wonderful Ticos, and see wildlife unique to the area such as coati, toucans, guatusas and pericos.
We will be using the Active Learning method, so your classroom is your surroundings and your days will be action packed. Learn the Spanish language, get to know the Costa Rican culture, and explore the countryside. We will accommodate all levels from beginning to advanced; however, you should have a basic knowledge of Spanish before participating. This can be acquired through the Conversational Level 1 Series with Habla Language Services, or a Beginning Spanish class at your local community college or Adult Ed program.
In addition to your Spanish Immersion, you will experience the warmth of the Costa Rican beaches, the ecosystems of the exotic rain and cloud forests, and the healing properties of volcanic hot springs. We will visit an organic farm, a small coffee plantation, and an animal sanctuary. You will have optional opportunities for horseback riding, ziplining, spa treatments and MORE! It is a trip of a lifetime! More info here. Come join us! Pura vida!
- July 21: Fly to San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO)
- July 22-23: Beach Trip and waterfalls
- July 24-28 Spanish Immersion Program
- July 28-31: Rain and Cloud Forest Trip via Volcano Hot Springs, includes ½ Day at Wild Life Sanctuary
- Aug 1: Fly home from LIR (or we can accommodate you for longer stays)
Join us for this educational trip of a lifetime! Live with a host family in Tilarán, Guanacaste to truly experience Costa Rican culture and hospitality. See our Day-To-Day Itinerary and Pricing/Payment Info here.
Acquire Spanish through real, hands-on learning. Apply your knowledge as you explore the country and culture. Learn the best of culture and language from experts in the field. Each day, will include a brief Spanish lesson followed by project-based learning. Some examples include:
- Shopping in the local markets.
- Learning to take a taxi and local bus.
- Inviting a friend to lunch.
- Visiting a health clinic and local school.
- Planting organic vegetables on the farm.
- Seeing how coffee is harvested and processed.
This trip is open to adults or adults with their children. We will not accept children without their legal guardians.
- 10 hours of Spanish instruction with expert Gina Covello, MA.
- 4 days of project-based, immersion learning while living the language in small town.
- 11 breakfasts, 1 picnic lunch, 5 dinners, 2 afternoon snacks.
- 5 nights staying with host family to enhance the learning experience.
- Lodging at beach.
- Entrance to Waterfall, Coffee Plantation, Local Farm. Visits to high school and pain management clinic.
- Hanging Bridges Guided Walk in Rain Forest (2½ hours).
- Sloth trail (2 hours).
- Animal Sanctuary Wildlife Tour + Volunteer Food Prep (3½ hours).
- 2 Nights Accommodation at Hot Springs Resort.
- Overnight accommodation at Monteverde Cloud Forest.
- Lodging upon arrival at SJO and leaving LIR (2 nights).
- Shuttle from SJO and to LIR airports.
- Transportation escorted by Gina Covello throughout the program and local Costa Rican guide.
Lunches and gratuities are not included. Airfare not included.
Instructor: Gina Covello earned her Master’s degree at the Monterey Institute of International Studies. She has over 25 years’ experience teaching language and developing curriculum and has an Adult Ed Credential. She lived in Tilarán, Costa Rica while serving in the U.S. Peace Corps and still has many contacts there.
Costa Rican Host: Analive Alfaro will be our resident host. She and her husband earned the title of Superhosts on Airbnb’s website in record time of 2 months. We will visit their farm: plant organic veggies, hike, and relax in general – Tico style!
With Habla Language Services, you will be receiving the best in language instruction, Costa Rican culture and nature! Come join us for a very personal Costa Rican learning experience!
Tilarán, Guanacaste: Gateway to Lake Arenal and the Arenal Volcano, Tilarán is a charming town that lies in the northeastern regions of the Guanacaste Province. Located along the Pan American Highway some 4 km from Lake Arenal and 22 km from Cañas. Tilarán is also a major farming zone for coffee, peanuts and macadamia nuts in the region as well as for cattle and horse ranching.
Residents are friendly and everyone knows their neighbor, Tilarán is a great place to stay due to its fantastic climate and slow pace of life. The weather in Tilarán is great because this town lies over 500 meters above sea level, and the temperatures here are usually cool and comfortable. Click here for Day-to-Day Itinerary and Payment Information.
Contact us for additional information or Apply here.
Regular cost is $3500 payable by May 1, 2023. Trip will fill after 10 participants and then we will take a wait list. We encourage early sign-ups and early deposits.
- $500 discount if 2 people share a room for hotel stays.
- $100 discount if paid by cash, check or Venmo.
- Contact us for family pricing. We need age of children.
- Payments are non-refundable. We highly suggest purchasing travel insurance for trip cancellation and also international medical insurance/medivac and COVID coverage.
More info available here.
Please Note: If you need Spanish for your job, this trip may be fully tax-deductible. Please talk to your tax advisor. The entire trip is Spanish Immersion and you will leave knowing MUCH more Spanish than when you came.
12 thoughts on “Costa Rica Immersion Program”
If I am interested in the trip, but not the language immersion, what are my options?
We are so happy you are interested in the trip. Please contact us via email: gina@HablaLS.com and send your phone number so we can discuss your options.
Rhonda Galvan says:
very interested in trip and language immersion
Rhonda, I sent you an email with the details and announcement of prizes for first three people who sign up for trip.
I am interested in this trip and language immersion. Can I get some more details. Thank you.
I sent you the details via email. Gracias por su interes!
Bing Zhang says:
I am very interested in the whole program, the trip and the language immersion. Would like to get more information.
I will email you more info. You can also look here: https://hablals.com/learn-spanish/spanishimmersion/day-to-day-itinerary/